Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Seashell Centerpiece

A few years ago I went to Florida with a friend for spring break. We, being small children at heart, collected seashells (I jumped up and down like a little girl when I found an intact sand dollar).

I wanted a way to show them off (I was darn proud of my sand-digging skills). Which, of course, meant washing them. I don't know if y'all have noticed, but seashells stink to high heaven unless you clean them. We used a splash of vinegar in a stock pot full of water, gave them a rinse, and then let them dry.

I still wasn't sure how to display them. But IKEA came to the rescue (as they so often seem to do). A square dish thing (I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to be, a candle dish I guess), a set of 3 candles, and some decorative sand on clearance was an inspiration. Combine that with a placemat I got at Kohl's for fifty cents and I had an awesome centerpiece for <$6. Now I can gaze at my seashells and hard-earned sand dollar and reminisce about the good old days when I could go to Florida for spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment