Thursday, April 5, 2012

DIY Kindle Sleeve

Did I not warn y'all about the massive onslaught of posts? This may be the first of several, depending on if I work up the will power to do some actual work before class this afternoon. That prospect doesn't look good.

Anyway, a few months ago I bought myself a *cough* second *cough* kindle. What I like to call a  Baby K. I named her Winky (yes, I name my electronic devices, get over it). I needed a case for her, but since she only cost $79, the idea of spending $30 for a case was a little much for this underpaid grad student. So I decided to make one.

I wanted it to be feminine, but not girly. A fine line to walk. I also got it into my head that I wanted it to be quilted. Only problem there is I don't know how to quilt (a situation I plan on rectifying soon). So I decided to wing it and use something already quilted. Namely, a quilted placemat from Pier1.

Here is how I did it, for any intrepid new ereader owners who want particular colors, etc. for their new baby's protection.

What to Buy (or find in your craft closet)

1 Quilted Placemat in the color of your choice
1 cloth napkin that coordinates with the placemat
Some quilt batting, you don't need much
Ribbon



Step 1: Cutting the Fabrics

Using your kindle as a guide, cut 2 or 4 (I did 4 for extra protection) pieces of batting the same size as your kindle. Then cut two pieces each of the napkin and the placemat, making the napkin pieces about 1/2 inch larger than the batting on all sides, and the placemat about 3/4 inch bigger than the napkin on all sides. Cut 2 6 inch pieces of ribbon





Step 2: Pinning and Sewing

Pin each napkin piece around 1-2 pieces of batting batting (like a hem) and 1 piece of ribbon to each piece of placemat and sew.







Step 3: More Pinning and Sewing

Pin the napkin encased batting to the placemat pieces, batting side down, and sew.





Step 4: Last Bit of Pinning and Sewing (swear)

Pin the 2 pieces of placemat (with napkin/battting already attached) together (right sides facing), and sew





Now turn the whole thing right side out, insert your kindle, and tie the ribbon to keep it in place.

See, that wasn't so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment